We are a loving, warm, open, Christian family! We invite you to join us for worship and Christian fellowship. We are located on Route 154, just up from Higganum center between Haddam Elementary School and Higgies Restaurant. Service begins at 9:00 am with a coffee hours following the service. Please join us any Sunday or telephone for further information at (860) 345-2335 firstname.lastname@example.org
Our church is one of over 41,000 congreations of United Methodism in the world. We hold to the basic teachings of Christianity, and consider ourselves part of the whole church of Jesus Christ, made up of many denominations.
A brief history of the Higganum United Methodist Church
“The Reverend Jesse Lee, organizer of Methodism in New England, an itinerate preacher, rode to the Old Haddam Court House on June 10, 1790. Soon to follow were preachers George Robert, Richard Swan, Freeborn Garretson and Lorenzo Dow. Ponsett or West Haddam Class was the first to be formed in the town in 1793. In 1795 Jesse Lee was again in charge of this district and it was during that year the Ponsett Meeting House was built and named, “God’s Barn.” In 1837 the Methodist Church in Haddam was dedicated by Dr. Wilber Fisk of Wesleyan University. Then after the organization of the present church in Higganum in 1862, on a plot of land that cost $50, the Haddam Church became inactive.”
From-The Higganum United Methodist Church history book, 1974